3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
2 1/2 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 large egg, separated, plus 2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 375°F. Lightly coat two 10-ounce ramekins with cooking spray; coat the insides of each with 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
- Place chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. (Alternatively, see “No Microwave?” below.)
- Whisk egg yolk and cream in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk in the chocolate until smooth, then whisk in flour and cinnamon until incorporated.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in four additions, until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold half the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture until fairly smooth; then gently fold this combined mixture back into the remaining egg whites until no white streaks remain. Divide between the prepared ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Bake until puffed and firm to the touch, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
- Serve immediately.