2 avocados , peeled and stoned
2 x 400g cans of beans, (we used pinto bean and kidney beans, rinsed and drained
small red onion , finely sliced
large bunch coriander , leaves only, roughly chopped
250g punnet cherry tomatoes , halved
bottle bought good-quality dressing (we used English Provender Company Lime & Coriander dressing)
1 red chilli , deseeded and finely sliced
½ tsp cumin
- Lower the eggs into boiling water and boil for 6½ mins, then put into a bowl of cold water to cool. Slice the avocados and place in a large bowl with the beans, onion, coriander and tomatoes.
- Measure 3 tbsp of the dressing into a small bowl, then mix in the chilli and cumin. Once the eggs have cooled but are still warm, peel off the shells and cut into quarters.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and nestle in the eggs. Serve straight away – delicious with toasted tortillas.
- For a tasty supper or lunchbox snack, pile the Mexican bean salad into the centre of a flour tortilla or stuff into a pitta, then grate over some cheddar and add a dollop of natural yogurt.
- Roll up the tortilla or close over the pitta tightly and eat.