An easy pasta dinner with a boscaiola sauce you can cook at home using bacon, mushrooms and cream.
- 250g dried penne pasta
- olive oil spray
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 150g rindless shortcut bacon rashers, diced
- 100g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 100g Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup light evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 thick slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm cubes
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain. Set aside.
Step 2 Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chives, half the mustard and half the parsley.
Step 3 Combine 1/4 cup evaporated milk with cornflour in a bowl. Add mixture, remaining milk and pasta to frying pan. Toss to coat. Remove from heat.
Step 4 Transfer pasta mixture to an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Toss bread with remaining mustard and parsley. Scatter bread mixture over pasta. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden. Serve.