Alec Baldwin has handed over his cellphone to authorities as part of the investigation into a fatal shooting on a New Mexico film set last fall, according to a law enforcement official.
According to Santa Fe County Sheriff‘s Office spokesman Juan Rios, Baldwin’s phone was turned over to law enforcement officials in Suffolk County, New York, on Friday, who will gather information from the phone and provide it to Santa Fe County investigators, according to the Santa Fe New Mexican.
Investigators from the Sheriff’s Office obtained a search warrant for the phone’s contents in December as part of their investigation into the Oct. 11 shooting on the “Rust” film set at Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe.
Baldwin worked as both an actor and a co-producer. The warrant for his phone sought text messages, images, videos, phone calls, and any other information related to the film.
According to authorities, Baldwin’s prop revolver accidentally shot a live round during a rehearsal, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.
Despite the delay in providing his phone to authorities and the bizarre social media rant about the warrant, Baldwin’s lawyer, Aaron Dyer, said his client had been cooperating with authorities throughout the investigation.
“Alec voluntarily provided his phone to the authorities this morning so they can finish their investigation,” Dyer said Friday in a statement. “But this matter isn’t about his phone, and there are no answers on his phone.”
Baldwin has denied any wrongdoing in the shooting and suggested in the Instagram video that the events of January 6 were to blame.
Baldwin claims he had no idea the gun he was holding had a live round when it went off. The source of the live round is being sought by investigators.
There have been no charges filed in connection with the shooting.