My 3-Year-Old Son Nearly Died From Drinking a Slushy; Now I Want Them Banned

(Kennedy News and Media)

In a distressing incident that unfolded in Scotland, Victoria Anderson experienced every parent’s nightmare when her 3-year-old son, Angus, fell into a state of unconsciousness after consuming a raspberry-flavored slushy drink. The alarming episode, which occurred on January 4th, has prompted Anderson, a mother of five from Glasgow, to caution parents globally about the potential hazards associated with these popular frozen treats.

Anderson recounted the terrifying ordeal to Kennedy News, expressing her initial disbelief and fear for her son’s life. “I was scared he would die,” she said, detailing how the family’s routine shopping trip took a turn for the worse after she acquiesced to Angus’s request for a slushy. Having seen his brothers enjoy the icy concoction made of crushed ice and flavored syrups during the summer, Angus was eager to try one for himself from a local store.

The situation quickly escalated when Angus started to express discomfort and a desire to return home shortly after beginning his drink. Anderson initially mistook his groans for typical childhood fussiness until she witnessed her son collapsing in what appeared to be a seizure, with his eyes rolling back and his body going limp. In a state of panic, she screamed for medical assistance, fearing the worst as Angus’s body grew cold to the touch, according to the American Chemical Society.

Emergency services arrived promptly, and paramedics discerned that Angus’s blood sugar levels had plummeted dangerously low. He was immediately transported to Glasgow Children’s Hospital, where he remained unconscious for approximately two hours, leaving Anderson in agonizing suspense over his condition. “It was the scariest thing I’d ever experienced,” she shared, noting that there was no prior indication of health issues nor a family history of such incidents.

The mystery deepened when Angus did not immediately respond to medical intervention. However, he gradually regained consciousness, albeit with fluctuating awareness, likely due to exhaustion from the ordeal. Upon learning of the slushy Angus had consumed, the medical team identified glycerol toxicity as the cause of his alarming symptoms.

Glycerol, a sweet-tasting alcohol found in various food products and cosmetics, can lead to severe health implications such as shock, hypoglycemia, and loss of consciousness when ingested in high concentrations. The revelation came in the wake of a warning issued by the Food Standards Agency of Scotland regarding the presence of glycerol in slush-ice drinks, advising against their sale to children under the age of four due to the risk of intoxication.

Shocked by the discovery that a seemingly innocuous treat could harbor such dangers, Anderson is now advocating for stricter regulations on slushy drinks, including potential bans or at least clear warnings about the risks they pose, especially to young children. Determined to raise awareness among other parents, Anderson’s experience underscores the importance of vigilance regarding the ingredients in children’s foods and beverages. “I’ll never buy slushies again,” Anderson declared, emphasizing her commitment to ensuring that other families do not have to endure a similar scare.

Related posts

Second body found after brothers make the fatal jump from ‘Jaws Bridge’: Police reports

Alexis N. Crockett

The woman wanted to die before her illness killed her. She finally got her to wish

Alexis N. Crockett

Trump’s attorneys warning him about his wish to “get his pound of flesh”: REPORTS

Alex Jane